GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is required to seek admission in most graduate programs. The test is designed to assess your aptitude for graduate programs. Your score in GRE will not only help you get admission into graduate school but also determine whether you get a scholarship, fellowship or tuition subsidy grants. The scholarship or other grants are allocated based on the GRE score. GRE Preparation depends on your needs and learning manner. Some students prefer self-study, some prefer online coaching and others prefer prep course.
Determine your skill level
You must determine as to whether you need a GRE prep class. This can be done by taking a diagnostic test which is available for free online. Download one of them and take the test. Check your score and identify your strengths and areas of weakness. This should help you decide.
Advantages of a renowned GRE prep class
A GRE prep class helps you to overcome your weak areas. You should be aware of the advantages offered by the prep class and make optimum use of it to hone your skills and score high in the GRE exam.
- Well qualified and experienced tutors are employed by renowned GRE preparation institutes. The experience of these tutors will help you gain valuable insight to score well. These tutors would have scored high in the tests themselves. It is essential for you to interact with them and get help to clarify your doubts.
- The required study material is provided by the institute that saves you lot of effort and time as searching for these on your own is a difficult task. Make the best use of the study materials.
- As part of the curriculum, you will be taught various test-taking strategies and tips to score. These strategies are well proven as the tutors have successfully used them to score high. You can master these only by rigorous practice. Just knowing them is not sufficient, being able to use them optimally is crucial. Preparing on your own you may not be even aware of them.
- A good number of practice tests are included in the course syllabus. They are conducted from time to time to assess the progress you are making in your preparation for the exam. They also help you identify your weak areas. You must put in more efforts on these to improve your skill level. You can gauge your improvement in the next test.
- Your interaction with other students in your class can work to your benefit. You can learn from their mistakes as they can learn from yours. You can also form a study group with like-minded classmates and help each other to prepare better.
- Some institutes also offer special classes for specific weaknesses for example GRE quantitative, faced by some students. You must identify your weakness and make the best use of these special classes. These sessions focus more on the areas that you need to improve upon.
Choosing the right institute of good repute is important but equally important is your determination and hard work to make the best use of the advantages provided by these institutes.